Thursday, December 24, 2009

Does anyone know of any dog food recipes I can make at home?

I have a golden retriever that I love very much and would hate for anything to happen to her. This whole pet food scare has got me wanting to make her food myself.Does anyone know of any dog food recipes I can make at home?
Before I fed my dogs any human food I consulted my vet and also did some research of my own. If I have run out of dried food or want to vary my dogs diet, than I opt for the following -





- Fish is also good for dogs, and a tin of sardines are really cheap.


- Cook meat before feeding it to your dog.


- Organ meat (such as liver, kidneys, etc.) are very good for your dog.


- Add garlic to your dog food. Dogs enjoy the flavor and garlic is a natural flea repellent.


- Use oatmeal, pasta, rice or potatoes for your dog's starch requirement.


- Eggs are also good and my dogs love them. I give them a raw egg and they know how to crack it open, but if your dog is new to eggs, crack it in the bowl for them


- Grind eggshells and add this to your dog's meal. Eggshells have a lot of nutrients.


- To clean my dogs teeth, I buy chicken carcasses / frames for the chicken shop or butcher (the bones left from when thay take of the meat. Make sure you don't feed your dogs cooked chicken bones as they splinter easily and can get caught in their throat.





From this make you own combinations of meat/fish, vegetables and starch. Eggs can be given as a meal on its own, or in combination with other food.Does anyone know of any dog food recipes I can make at home?
a lot of people only know of chocolate to be poisonous or harmful to your dog, but there's actually a pretty long list... a lot of which people have told me that they gave their dog and nothing happened, but it could just be that THAT particular dog just has a tolerance for the amount it was given.. the way I see it... it's better to be safe then sorry...


http://mooreshaven.com/pets/dogs/safety/鈥?/a>
my vet told me that lean chicken boiled an steamed rice is the best thing a dog can possibly eat, so why the hec not?..I've just been making extra food for my dog..he is starting to like eggs for breckfast and meat %26amp; green beans for dinner...getting spoiled over here,


better than a dead dog!
any thing but chocolate, don't let them get in the habit of eating from your plate though cause then you'll turn around and he'll be all over it.





any kind of meat is fine. you should probably cook it or buy pre cooked, no bones,
Many people are giving bad advice on here, your pets diet is very important, the best advice I could give, I've been a Vet Tech for about 4 years now, is just call you vet because every pet is different. What kind of breed and age your dog is are a few main factors in determining your pet's diet. Chocolate is VERY bad for your dog. So are onions and beer. Grapes can also make your dog go into kidney failure. So when preparing your own dogs food, keep that in mind and PLEASE call your vet because that is your most reliable resource.

No comments:

Post a Comment