Monday, December 28, 2009

Anyone know any good raw dog food recipes and raw treat recipes?

I am looking for some raw dog food recipes to start feeding raw for only part of the time. Have any ideas? Any healthy raw treat ideas? Summer treat ideas?





Thank you!Anyone know any good raw dog food recipes and raw treat recipes?
It is something that should be researched thoroughly. For example, you don't want to feed too many organs or weight bearing bones. Also, to reach the maximum benefit, you should donate your bag of kibble. It doesn't benefit the dog to have both as they digest differently in the body.





I serve my dog a whole chicken in the morning and in the evening I serve ground up meat-ground with the bones in it (whichever meat I have for that day, venison, lamb, etc) with pureed (from food processor) veggies and fruits mixed in. My dog prefers not to have the veggies, so if I don't serve it this way, he won't eat them.





Many people say that veggies and fruits are not necessary, but some do and I feel better knowing he has them. Dogs are omnivores and in the wild will eat grass.





I cook a box of brown rice once a week and I daily add 1/2 cup of it to his evening meal.





I am giving you some links that can go into more detail about the diet. I wish you the best and thank you for feeding your dogs the healthiest diet!





The links I have prepared for you are ones that I have researched myself as well as ones that were sent to me when I joined the yahoo group for rawfeeding. I would suggest signing up for it. It is free to register, they don't spam you and you can opt out at anytime. http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/rawfe鈥?/a>





Why I chose to feed my dog a raw food diet:





I adopted my lab/pit mix at 1 year old. He had been a stray and was the most amazing dog I have ever met. It was love at first sight. When I brought him home, I fed him (quality) kibble. He had daily diarrhea, often several times a day. I felt horrible for him. We were at the vet twice in the first month for his bowel problems. My vet told me to feed Science Diet, Sensitive Stomach Formula. I knew that SD is crap food, but I was desperate to help my dog. It worked! Then I found out that not only is there no nutriton in SD, but they add stool hardeners! I was so mad. The food was only masking the problem.





I knew there had to be a better way. I was heavily reading everything I could about canine nutrition. I had my dog tested for allergies. (dogs can be sensititve to something without being allergic) I changed food every few weeks trying to fnd something nutritious that wouldn't make his bowels expode.





I started cooking boiled chicken and rice for him and only feeding him that because that was the only way he'd stop having diarrhea and I could actually know exactly what he was eating. There had to be a better way.





I had heard of raw feeing but it sounded crazy to me. I mean, feeding your dog bones? That's insane! They could choke! Well, after careful research and consulting with my vet, I decided that I had tried everything else and this was worth a shot. It turns out raw bones are GOOD for them! They don't splinter like cooked bones. They clean the dogs teeth. This is what a dog's digestive system was meant to eat!





Aside from the diarrhea, my dog suffered frequent ear infections, UTIs, and anal gland infections. He had gas, bad breath and the frequent diarrhea. All of that is now gone! He is so healthy and his immune system fights off everything on his own. There are no more monthly trips to the vet (so costly!) and he has so much energy.





I always suggest everyone should at least look into raw feeding, even if their dog is already healthy. Keep him that way, right?





My dog is almost 80lbs and he eats 2.5 lbs of raw a day. He gets half of a chicken in the morning and his evening meal varies including eggs, veggies, duck, venison, bison, beef, turkey, fish, organs, etc. He loves it! There is nothing more satisfying than hearing him crunch on those bones because I know it makes him so healthy and happy.





Keep in mind, you have to be careful with bone/meat ratio (explained in links) and what kinds of raw you are feeding. (example, too many organs or weight bearing bones can be bad)





Links:





http://www.rawfed.com/


http://www.rawlearning.com/


http://rawfeddogs.net/


http://www.rawmeatybones.com/ http://rawfed.com/myths/preymodel.html


http://www.rawfed.com/myths/index.html





I wish you the best and if I think of anything else, I will edit!





I feed him a tablespoon of yogurt a day - I put plops of yogurt on a freezer safe Tupperware and stick it in the freezer. I give him one a day as a treat. I don't believe it is necessary, but he hasn't had any digestive problems since I've been doing it. It's used as a treat.





Other treats I have used are raw baby carrots, sliced apples and green beans. I also puree liver, mix it 50/50 with water and put it into ice cube trays as a treat.





I used to buy from www.omaspride.com but now I do it myself. It isn't terribly cheaper but for me it is more convenient to pick up stuiff for him at my weekly trips to the butcher shop, which sells only organic fed, free range meats and dairy products. Also consider making your own jerky (or purchasing) out of venison, chicken, duck, etc.Anyone know any good raw dog food recipes and raw treat recipes?
This is a great website called Raw Fed Dogs, and they have a huge page of recipes.





http://www.rawfeddogs.net/Recipes





I like their recipes a lot. For treats, I like chicken hearts and gizzards, raw of course. But I've heard people that put chicken livers in a food dehydrator, or into a very low temperature oven for a long time. It's not raw, but it works and keeps. Plus you don't have to touch the raw liver.





ADD: Vegetables may be beneficial, but fruits are not. There are no nutrients in fruits that can't be found in vegetables. To feed vegetables, either cook them completely or chop them finely. Root vegetables and top growing vegetables should both be used, as roots tend to firm up stool, and top growing veggies loosen them, so it's important to have a balance. I also think a little bit of cooked grains are beneficial to a lot of dogs, but usually only very highly active dogs need them.
This is a great question and you should do your research very carefully! Everyone is going to have their opinion but that does not mean it is the right food for your dog. I just lost my seven year old German Shepherd to cancer and that is when I went searching for the cause. I came across a website on the internet that shocked me into disbelief that I probably had poisoned my dog to death and didn't even know it. Most dog foods are loaded with hidden poisons and other obscenities I still have a hard time grasping. I am going to give you the website address so you can read this report and learn what is really in commercial dog foods and you can make an educated decision like I did on which dog food to buy! I wish you all the best!


Click the link below to get this eye opening report:


www.realdogfoodcomparisons.com/recommend鈥?br>


Well I'd recommend feeding raw ALL the time. But, healthy treats include turkey gizzards, hearts, livers. (Any type of organ meat) I go to the grocery store and ask if they have any and get them for $0.38/lb, they are SO cheap! They dogs LOVE them and they are great for them. They aren't always in stock tho, so I like to buy in bulk when they are...but generally you have to ask for them they aren't always out in the store. Also I like to get soup bones that have some meat still on them and freeze them. Then on really hot days I'll give them to the puppies to chew on all afternoon. Those are around $1/lb. Hope this helps!





ADD: I have also made my own jerky for my dogs. I took beef heart (you can use any organ meat) and boiled it for a long time to cook it, then chopped it into tiny pieces, then baked it until completely dehydrated. It was GREAT for training and cost me $5 for a TON of treats!
The actual raw food you give the dog is really up to you and the dog (what he/she likes). Go to Google.com and type in ';raw dog foods'; and you will get TONS of ideas on healthy raw meats and veg's to give your dog day to day. Also there are a boad load of companies that will come up on your google results that sell pre-packaged (frozen) healthy raw dog foods and treats/snacks.
follow this link to see a good explanation on what's good for the dog and what's not.


http://www.packsandpaws.com/2009/05/dogs-are-carnivores-not-omnivores.html





Most of all, dogs are carnivores and should be fed a lot of food and animal products, raw eggs are very good (though my dogs don't like em :) ).
Dogs love meat of any kind. I like to take good lean hamburger meat and add a egg, you can add some grain, but then roll into a small ball. They love it! Make sure the meat is lean.
I use organic food, all type of food should be good, but do watch out for fleas. My puppy really hates those and his health improved once I used http://bit.ly/ybJlb (the fuminator), works wonders!
I gave once a week 1/2 kg. of raw good meat and she enjoyed it so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment